New detailed plans are coming with lots of 3D graphics, new design features and layout options. A new plans pricing structure intended to make the plans as affordable as possible. Even a new logo (work in progress) with a more modern look to celebrate the new presentation and design work. Send us an email if you would like more details on the new plans and pricing structure.
Please not that some of the information on these pages will be outdated when the new information comes on line in January 2020.
Raku is our range of high performance cruising cats designed to take you on the voyage of your own design. Raku range inherits more than 30 years of experience designing yachts that have served as a home to families and adventurous seafarers who have circled the globe, explored some of the most remote corners of our planet, and on occasions mixed with the action in some of the more exotic racing venues around the world.
Raku ware is a form of traditional Japanese hand shaped pottery typically created for use in the tea ceremony dating back to the 16th century. The name Raku actually refers to the firing process rather than the object of the process which might include bowls, vases and even abstract sculptures.
In the Japanese culture Raku is more than an object for everyday use or for decoration, Raku is a vessel for creativity and a way to express pride in design and craftsmanship.
Just as the traditional Japanese potters took great pride in the style and quality of the vessels they created, we also take pride in the forms we create and the materials we specify to create them with. We've crafted Raku with elegant lines and a sleek profile for optimum synergy with the elements.
According to Wikipedia the word Raku in Japanese means "enjoyment". Making literal translations of foreign words is not always an exact science but sailing is definitely meant to be enjoyable and I'm prepared to take Wikipedia on its word.
Whether it's some exquisite hand crafted ceramics or a new sailing vessel … enjoy Raku!
Raku cats are built in foam/glass composite using PVC foam cores with epoxy glass skins. The hull bottoms are rounded for efficiency and good seakeeping properties. All of the Rakus can be built from a Duflex kit which includes foam/glass CNC cut panels, material for strip planking the hull bottoms, temporary mould frames and strong-backs, and additional materials including resins, carbon and glass reinforcements, tapes, glue cartridges and fillers.
Configure the Kit
Each and every Raku is a uniques design in its own right. We configure the plans and the cutting files for the kit to suit your personal requirements so the boat you build or have built makes a statement about the way you choose to sail. Configure your boat from the list of options below, and if you need some help to do this we're just an email and a Skype call away.
Design Options fo the Raku Cats.
1. Mini Keels or Daggers; For all of the Rakus choose between mini keels and dagger boards. Daggers are standard. Mini keels are the option.
2. Forebeam or Longeron; All Rakus are available with conventional catwalk and forebeam. The longeron may be purchased from an established rig building company. For plans for longerons please enquire about availability.
3. Configure the Cabin BH to your preferences. The door width can be varied to account for the degree you widh to open the saloon up to the cockpit.
You can order the kit without the doorway cutout if you wish to leave the decision until later.
4. Interior Layout; Add a bathroom, move a bathroom, add or delete a cabin. Fwd berth in the hull or up on the wing deck. Note that changes here may affect some of the components in the kit.
5. Saloon Furniture Module. Standard interior kits are available for most of the Raku designs, but we can also draw up a kit to your own design preferences on request.
6. Plans and Specifications for ISO compliance. For boats to be built in, or imported to Europe, or if you are planning to charter, you may need to meet CE or other Standards Enquire about the cost of having your boat engineered to ISO standards for CE compliance..
We've built a new cockpit arrangement for Raku that eliminates the need for two helm options. The new arrangement addresses nine points including visibility from the helm, access on and off the boat, and ventilation to the aft cabin.
The combined Newsletter for Grainger Designs and Rocket Factory Trimarans
Our DuFLEX kit systems streamline the construction process for amateurs and professional yards alike. More details here…